When Leeza Hernandez is not working as an art director for a local parenting magazine this painter, printmaker and doodler can usually be found hanging out with her artist family, traveling, or noodling in her studio. She is inspired by the world around her—from the changing seasons, other cultures and simple everyday objects.
Her love for line, color and texture is evident in her award-winning work, which has appeared in The Chicago Tribune, American Illustration, and national magazines. She is also the recipient of SCBWI’s Tomie de Paula Award and Winter Conference Art Showcase Award.
Leeza's latest illustrated books include: The MIA MAYHEM chapter-book series (S&S) due out in 2019; THIS IS THE DAY! written by Amy Parker (Scholastic) and DID YOU BURP? How to Ask Questions (Or Not!) written by April Pulley Sayre (Charlesbridge). She is also working on a chapter book series for S&S, due to release in 2019. Other books inlude: Sandy Donovan’s Bored Bella Learns About Fiction and Nonfiction (Picture Window Books, 2010); Ann McCallum’s Eat Your Math Homework, Eat Your Science Homework and Eat Your U.S History Homework (Charlesbridge); NY Times best-selling author John Lithgow’s Never Play Music Right Next To The Zoo (S&S)—plus Dog Gone! and Cat Napped! (Penguin/Putnam)—which she also wrote.
Leeza lives in New Jersey with her husband, daughter and tabby cat, Jaspurr-purr. She is represented by Rachel Orr of Prospect Agency. (email@example.com / prospectagency.com)
Three facts you may not know about Leeza:
• She loves cheddar cheese (the stronger the better!)
• Her favorite word is “cheeky” followed by “noodle” and “splendiferous”
• Her three favorite Roald Dahl books are Danny, Champion of the World; Fantastic Mr. Fox and George’s Marvellous Medicine.
- Mia Mayhem is a Superhero, Published by Simon & Schuster / Little Simon
- Mia Mayhem Learns To Fly, Published by Simon & Schuster / Little Simon
- Mia Mayhem Vs The Super Bully, Published by Simon & Schuster / Little Simon
- Mia Mayhem Breaks Down Walls, Published by Simon & Schuster / Little Simon
- Did You Burp? How to Ask Questions (Or Not!), Published by Charlesbridge
- Dog Gone!, Published by Penguin / G. P. Putnam's Sons
- Cat Napped!, Published by Penguin / G. P. Putnam's Sons
- This Is The Day!, Published by Scholastic / Little Shepherd Books
- Never Play Music Right Next To The Zoo!, Published by Simon & Schuster